1. Dental visits are important for everyone
Everyone should see an oral health professional regularly
- people with natural teeth
- people with no natural teeth
- people with dentures
- people who receive nil by mouth
2. Don’t wait for a problem; dental visits should happen regularly
At regular dental visits an oral health professional can:
- check that all parts of the mouth are healthy
- clean the teeth (remove tartar build-up and polish)
- suggest ways to make daily mouth care easier
- recommend mouth care products
- give feedback on an oral health care plan
- treat small problems before they become bigger problems.
3. Ask how often a check-up is needed
- Different people will have different needs. An oral health professional can recommend how often an individual should see them.
4. People can choose a public or private dental clinic
- Anyone can go to a private dental clinic. They will have to pay.
- Adults who have a healthcare card or pensioner concession card can go to a public dental clinic. Clients of a disability service will usually not have to pay.
- Find out more about dental services available.
5. Make an appointment straight away if…
A person should see an oral health professional straight away if:
- they have pain in their mouth
- their gums are bleeding
- they have sores, lumps or any patches that are a different colour in their mouth
- if they, or you, are worried about their mouth for any reason.